About Me

My photo
Collierville, TN, United States
A stay-at-home mom who loves her job. An architect's wife. Mama to a chubby, blonde-haired toddler and two rambunctious dogs. Recently returned to Tennessee from three years in sunny San Diego. Adjusting to life back in the South and trying to have a little fun while I'm at it.

Monday, June 8, 2009

WORD|of the day

[embark] verb; to begin or to start (or in nautical terms, to go aboard a ship)

I thought this was appropriate for the launch of my freelance editing blog... and because I live near San Diego's beautiful harbor, from which I would love to "embark" someday on my private sailboat. :)


QUOTE|of the day

[Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?]
from "The Summer Day" by Mary Oliver

I discovered Mary Oliver's poetry through this quote. Her work speaks to me like nothing I've ever read. This actually comes from the end of her poem, "The Summer Day," and I love it because it points out three very important facts about life... 1) We have only one; 2) It is wild: meaning we have no control over it; and 3) It is precious.

This quote reminds me and challenges me to do what makes me happy, not what others think I should do or what is popular or what will make me rich. We only go through life once (unless you believe in reincarnation... if that's the case I want to come back as my dog) so why not pursue it hungrily, passionately, and with a sense of adventure?

No comments:

Post a Comment